Monday, April 13, 2009

A Word to the Wise

If you are like me, and possess an insatiable thirst for knowledge (this is totally tongue in cheek people, I'm really not that self absorbed), then stuff like word-of-the-day emails are totally up your alley. Maybe it's my love of reading, or maybe I just like to have a couple of solid zingers up my sleeve for the perfect occasion. Soooo....I came across this site, Urban Dictionary, on a couple of random searches. I thought it would be interesting to sign up for their word of the day emails. I already get the typical ones, but why not expand my world view? Andrew once called me a noob and I had to go look it up. I mean come on, I'm a Gen Xer — I should know this stuff, right?

Today. I open up my gmail (another example of how hip and web savvy I am — yahoo is so passé) to find my first installment. My reaction? "Oh! Urban Dictionary, teach me something new today!" The word? I won't say because I know you'll go look it up and for my innocent Mormon readers, I will not defile you. The word was perfectly innocuous, seemingly harmless. Imagine my amazement when it turned out to be downright pornographic in nature! Moral of this story? When signing up for word of the day emails, prepare yourself to learn something you may have no business knowing...and consider the source!

No comments: