Mondays are typically my flip-out day. After a weekend of fun (well, sometimes), the house is usually left in what I refer to as the post weekend fallout. This weekend, the Wallace family was stricken with one head cold (me), one case of diarrhea and throwups (Mia), one case of diarrhea (Jack) and one spasmodic back (Bob). Aidan's just staying out of the way, hoping a nice, healthy family will adopt him.
In the wake of the Monday Mess, one problem in particular has come to light. The phenomenon has come to be known as The Great Toy Migration. Some people may not know that we actually have a playroom downstairs in the basement. Unfortunately, it is lacking in storage and has no semblance of organization. Before Mia reached toddlerhood, the playroom was picked up and organized on a near nightly basis. I had totes labeled with pictures of toys, (i.e., Little People, Thomas, etc.) and toys would be put away in their rightful places. I would never claim to be OCD, but this was about as close as I got to it. Along came walking Mia, then Jack, life and craziness ensued, and fast forward to the present state of affairs. The kids don't want to play down there by themselves, most likely due to the chaotic jumble of random toys everywhere. Sooo, toys have slowly made their way up to the family room, finding homes on our bookshelves, next to the TV, behind and under the couch, and on the fireplace. Random parts and pieces of toys find their way to the strangest places, strewn about as if carried there in a flood or receding glacier. Enough was finally enough. We just finished our "instant mudroom" project and clutter is officially on my list. So most of the toys got moved downstairs, but the outlook is good for a second wave of toys. They tend to move north in our neck of the woods.
So late last night, after finishing work around 1:30 am (yes, I know, I know!) I made my bedtime rounds and checked on the kids. Imagine my surprise when I found Aidan with his light on, playing POKEMON ON HIS DS!!! I couldn't be mad because it was so funny, but he knew the minute I caught him that it was a bigtime no-no. He's been a little obsessed lately because he and his friend Jake have had an epic competition going on. When he got home today the first words out of his mouth were: "Mom. Jake dropped his DS in the toilet." Bob and I busted out laughing. Although we expressed regret that Jake's beloved DS was broken, we were secretly pleased that this competition is over, at least until Jake gets a new one. Needless to say, the DS now resides in our bedroom at night and strict limitations have been imposed.
2 comments:
I'm dying of laughter. We know about the Great Toy Migration here too unfortunately. I am often threatening to donate all these toys to "unfortunate children who will appreciate them" but that would take work on my part as well you know?!?
Glad I'm not alone :)
Jenn
Our great toy migration is more like the great toy explosion. There really isn't much room for the toys to hide, so it ALWAYS looks messy here.
It also sounds like a certain little boy is a late owl like his mama! I can't believe he stayed up that late intent on defeating his friend--I would have laughed too, it's just too good.
Today I found out that there is a 'picto chat' feature on the DS's and you can actually chat with others online. Yep, Brayden discovered it and came and told me that 'some guy' is saying swear words to him on his DS!! WHAT??? I had no idea you could link up with other people on those....kinda scary.
Post a Comment