First on our list? What to do with our coats/shoes/gloves/hats/scarves. Our little house has no mudroom to speak of...instead, it has this sad little excuse of an entry off our garage. We had a big basket for all of our shoes, which took up a good third of the entry. The kids were always tripping over it, slowing our progress into the house. I had hooks hanging on the back of the garage door, so when you opened it, you had to duck out of the way. So, I moved a computer armoire out of its place against the low wall at the bottom of the stairs (next project, moving the armoire to our ACTUAL office which is now serving as a storage unit) when you walk in from the garage. We put up a strip of baseboard molding ($16 at Lowe's), painted it the same color as our trim, then installed 5 large oil rubbed bronze double hooks ($6 each at Lowe's). Add another big basket and an old chair ($15 at a garage sale in KC), and voila! an instant mudroom! I'd love to eventually add a storage bench to the spot.
Thursday, January 15, 2009
Chaos, Take That! Part II
Lately, I've been feeling like so many aspects of our life is in chaos...work, kids, house, etc. Although I'd never proclaim to be a perfectionist, I can get a tad bit anal about certain things, one being clutter. Perhaps I'm a self defeater, but I can be quite the clutter bug if I allow myself free rein. So, new year, new me, right? I've enlisted Bob in our war to take back control of what we can.
First on our list? What to do with our coats/shoes/gloves/hats/scarves. Our little house has no mudroom to speak of...instead, it has this sad little excuse of an entry off our garage. We had a big basket for all of our shoes, which took up a good third of the entry. The kids were always tripping over it, slowing our progress into the house. I had hooks hanging on the back of the garage door, so when you opened it, you had to duck out of the way. So, I moved a computer armoire out of its place against the low wall at the bottom of the stairs (next project, moving the armoire to our ACTUAL office which is now serving as a storage unit) when you walk in from the garage. We put up a strip of baseboard molding ($16 at Lowe's), painted it the same color as our trim, then installed 5 large oil rubbed bronze double hooks ($6 each at Lowe's). Add another big basket and an old chair ($15 at a garage sale in KC), and voila! an instant mudroom! I'd love to eventually add a storage bench to the spot.

First on our list? What to do with our coats/shoes/gloves/hats/scarves. Our little house has no mudroom to speak of...instead, it has this sad little excuse of an entry off our garage. We had a big basket for all of our shoes, which took up a good third of the entry. The kids were always tripping over it, slowing our progress into the house. I had hooks hanging on the back of the garage door, so when you opened it, you had to duck out of the way. So, I moved a computer armoire out of its place against the low wall at the bottom of the stairs (next project, moving the armoire to our ACTUAL office which is now serving as a storage unit) when you walk in from the garage. We put up a strip of baseboard molding ($16 at Lowe's), painted it the same color as our trim, then installed 5 large oil rubbed bronze double hooks ($6 each at Lowe's). Add another big basket and an old chair ($15 at a garage sale in KC), and voila! an instant mudroom! I'd love to eventually add a storage bench to the spot.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Round Two: Olivia=2, Chaos=0
It looks awesome girl! You comin to my house next?
FANTASTIC! Who needs a mudroom? And did it solve all of life's problems? Can you come do that at my house??
GREAT JOB!!
Jenn
Post a Comment