Sunday, November 30, 2008

A Weekend to be Grateful For!


How could Thanksgiving not be delicious? Mom made the turkey, the stuffing and the sweet potatoes; I made the soup, rolls, corn pudding, mashed potatoes and pumpkin cake. Annie made the asparagus and the deviled eggs. We sauteed, we chopped, we baked. And after a mere 8 minutes of frenzied eating, it was done. We were STUFFED. Honestly, it was a little unfair how fast we got full after all that cooking. Not to worry, we have enjoyed this meal repeatedly over the last few days. It was a small group of us this year, just us and my mom and Annie. I didn't even think to invite anyone over, we usually have so many of us. It was quiet, but I definitely missed all the craziness of our big family. If it's a small group next year, we may consider going out to eat as some of our smarter friends did this year.




After gorging ourselves, we headed back to our house to watch Home Alone on TV and enjoy our pumpkin cake. It's such a fun holiday movie, and I thought the kids would get a kick out of it. Funny how you don't always notice questionable language and examples of juvenile delinquency before you have kids. It ended up well, Kevin learned his lesson, and my kids learned that they should never wish their family would disappear on the eve of a trip to France.

The next day, our stomachs still full with Thanksgiving goodness, we went to an early showing of the movie Bolt. The kids had great fun and Jack fell asleep about halfway through...another thing to be grateful for! No holiday shopping for us — there ain't no sale that could get me out with those crazy crowds!

On Saturday, we woke up to a light snow. Ah! These are the days I love winter (ask me if I still love it on January 5th). We took the kids to the open gym at the local rec center to get out all the pent up energy they'd been working up the last couple of days. Aidan and Mia have both taken gymnastics there, so they were right at home. Jack got a kick out of all the fun stuff too.

Mia on the trampoline.


Aidan on the trampoline.



Jack on the trampoline.


Mia on the rope swing (her favorite).


After working up an appetite at the gym, we headed over to Chili's (I had 2 free kids meal coupons) for lunch. Love those southwestern eggrolls.


Looking forward to the Christmas holiday...

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Love the pictures!! Your dinner looked so cozy and warm, and the menu sounded absolutely delicious!! Glad you think I'm a "smart friend" for going out, I was just chalking it up as sheer laziness. Feel like I haven't seen ya in forever girl!

The Brugger Bunch said...

What a sweet and perfect little family! Your holiday looked so wonderful!!!! So beautiful and warm! Don't you love all that amazing food!