Friday, November 21, 2008

"A hundred times have I thought New York is a catastrophe, and fifty times: It is a beautiful catastrophe. -Le Corbusier "

Ah. New York City in the fall. It was glorious! On Thursday, my mom, Jack and I set out for our weekend adventure in the big city. Our goals: to hold the latest addition to the Littlewood clan, May. To hang out with Daniel, Leann, Aunt Donna, Uncle Dana and cousin Roy. To eat foods unheard of in Overland Park, KS. To cry at a Broadway musical. To see art and architecture that only exists on this tiny island on the other side of the country. To shop at H&M. Mission accomplished.
Here is Jack on the plane...it was an uneventful flight after an hour delay. Jack had a good time with the toys I had bought for the trip. New word alert: Jack started saying "choo-choo" on the plane. So cute!



We took a cab from La Guardia to Tribeca, where my aunt lives. It was late when we got in, but that was no deterrent for Jack, the night owl. We also got an inkling of the logistical nightmare carting a baby around NYC is. Thank goodness for Jenni's travel friendly stroller!

The next morning (Friday) we went to Edwards for brunch. It's one of those dingy old places that everyone loves...so much character, good service and delicious food!



After our delicious meal, we took a ride in a cab to meet May at Daniel and Leann's apartment near Times Square. Jack fell asleep in his Aunt Donna's arms.



We finally arrived at Daniel and Leann's apartment, folded the stroller up, and ascended the six flights of stairs to the third floor. Their apartment is so cozy and cute. They've made great use of the space, and it reflects their artistic style. It reminded me of our first apartment in Kansas City, just a little studio with a fold down Murphy bed.

May. Such a beautiful baby...I can see both Daniel and Leann in her. It's an amazing thing, holding the daughter of my little brother. I remember so clearly at age seven, when he was born, how happy I was to finally have a baby brother. I am just beside myself with joy for them and look forward to seeing their new family grow.

How could their baby not be gorgeous?

May Eden


Donna, May & Jack

The new parents...

Grandma and Aunt Oli with May

Grandma & May

After visiting May we went to Times Square to get tickets for a show. Donna treated us to Billy Elliot, which opened up the day before. Jack was entralled with Times Square—who wouldn't be? It's been about 10 years since I was here last, and man, has the technology come a long way. It was frenetic, dirty, loud, and crowded—all in that gorgeous New York way.

Love this photos of Jack taking it all in.




Jack next to a trash can waiting for the light to turn green. Note the Alfred Hitchcock show advertised...yes, it says "Hitchcock Meets Hilarious!" We'll catch that next time we're in town. ;-)

While we were waiting for Donna, I just had to go in Toys 'R' Us...it was huge, and every kid's dream. It had a ferris wheel, a life sized T-Rex, a lego Empire State building complete with King Kong and a Ben 10 display that Aidan would've flipped for.

Aidan's own version of heaven.



Friday night, Donna called Roy's former nanny, Claudie to come help out with Jack. She, along with uncle Dana and Roy watched him so we could get out for a night out on the town. I had seen a scene from Billy Elliot on the Today show a while back, and thought it would be a great musical—we had really loved the movie which came out a few years ago.


The show was awesome. David Alvarez played the part of Billy, and we think it was his debut performance, since it was only the third show since it had opened (there are three boys playing the role). He was phenomenal, and received a couple of standing ovations. He was so fantastic that we had to suppress the urge to scream "dance Billy, DANCE!!" (if you've seen the movie, you'll know what I'm talking about.) Donna did yell out "BILLY! BILLY" a couple times during the closing applause. It was so wonderful, there were several scenes that brought tears to my eyes. Thanks Donna for a fabulous night (and Dana, Claudie and Roy too!)


On Saturday, we headed out to bring lunch to Daniel and Leann's apartment. They suggested Manganaros Italian Groceria and Trattoria, which was located nearby. Stepping into this place felt like I was going back 80 years—I doubt much has changed. With its antiquated interior, grumpy Italian ladies behind the counter (one actually said to my aunt, "I'll help you when I'm ready, ok?") and delicious food, it was chock full of that old Italian vibe....there were salamis hanging from the ceiling, old marble counters. Three chicken parmesan sandwiches, one meatball sub and sausage and pepper sandwiches later, we were FULL. I'm glad we didn't get the mozzarella balls the size of baseballs (I'm not kidding, they were huge!!).




We hung out with the NYC Littlewoods for most of the day. Later on, we headed back to Donna's apartment for some more bonding over food. Daniel, Leann and May came along for some yummy Thai. Thanks for introducing us to the Massaman Beef, Daniel!! I need to find me some good Thai takeout here in Overland Park...although I get the feeling it won't ever measure up!

On Sunday, we stopped by Daniel's work on the way out. He works just half a block down from Donna's apartment, in a really fancy building. Here we are in the lobby.

Another landmark in Donna's neighborhood, Bubby's. It's on the end of her block...I snapped a picture while we were waiting at the ATM for Donna. We didn't get to go this visit, but last time was memorable. Let's just say that many a famous face has been spotted here by my family.


Next, we headed over to the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) for the Van Gogh exhibit.

This photo was a perfect NY photo...there's always someone walking in front of you just as you're snapping it. But that's ok, I like how the movement translates in the picture. The quote reads, "It often seems to me that the night is much more alive and richly colored than the day."
What can I say about Van Gogh? It was a gorgeous exhibit, and if you can, go see Starry Night in person before you die. It's just one of those things. It was the one piece of artwork that I remembered seeing 15 years ago when I came in '93.

Jack currently lists Jackson Pollock as one of his inspirations.

Friday and Saturday had been unseasonably warm, but by Sunday, it had gotten chilly...so we had to enjoy the sculpture garden from inside.


After MoMA, we stopped at H&M. I was a little bit disappointed with the selection, but Donna said that the location (near Times Square) was not great. I did, however, still get sweaters for the boys (you can see them in the cute photos we had done last week). That was the extent of our shopping in the big city. You may think that I was disappointed that we didn't do more, but honestly, hanging with the family and all that was much more fun!

Later, we headed back to Daniel and Leann's for more bonding with May and yes, more food. This time, Cuban. I obviously cannot sing the praises of NY takeout food enough. It was delicious. Daniel treated us to some of his favorite websites and YouTube videos that had us busting up all night.

Here's one of our trips on the subway. Has anyone in NY ever heard of wheelchair and stroller access? It's insanity. It's honestly a logistical nightmare, but it's the price you pay to live in such an amazing city.


Sunday night was our last night with Donna, Dana & Roy. I'm sad I didn't get more shots of them in their apartment. The last time I saw Roy was in 1998 when I last visited. He was 5. Now, he's over six feet tall!


It was a fantastic trip. I can't wait to go back and take my whole family with me...I know the kids will love it! Thanks to my NYC family for making it great!





5 comments:

Olivia W. said...

i don't to hear any disparaging remarks about all our eating in NYC!! ;-)

Jenni said...

Eat up my friend! Thanks for the post, I was anxiously waiting for it and it did not disappoint! New York looks amazing, so glad you had an awesome trip!!

Unknown said...

oh ... my ... goodness. that was the best post ever. i almost don't need to call you. ;) just kidding! i will. that was awesome. and "disappointed that you didn't do more?" are you normal? that was a ton for a weekend trip you crazy! you musta woken up before 10am like *every* day. ;) everyone looks great and that whole trip looked like sooo much fun. i'm jealous. ...and why the heck are you so photogenic in pics? so annoying. ;)

Olivia W. said...

thanks cath. and i EVEN took advantage of the free continental breakfast! ;-)

Unknown said...

good write up oli.

i wish i could see you guys more often.